Overgeared Review - Review4reader




some moments of greatness sprinkled among the mediocrity and downright garbage. That's perhaps the best description of I can offer of Overgeared as of ch 1155.

I've contemplated dropping the novel around 20~ times give or take, but I stuck with it. It's definitely a fun experience; there's a decent amount of humor, some epic moments, and it's probably the best you're gonna get of MMORPG-like novels at the moment. However, that isn't exactly praise of the highest order.

I didn't mind Grid's character as some other readers had, be that before his transformation or after. What bothered me, however, was the transformation itself -- it completely abandons the concept of show-don't-tell, since every other chapter either some side character or the author himself through omniscient perspective will clamor about how much Grid has changed. It always pulled me right out of the story because it felt erroneously cheap; after all, the point of character development is to showcase a change, not inform the readers of the change. Time and again, author kept reminding me of Grid's change, whereas he should have just showed it.

It's fine, however; his character development certainly is strong, and as I said at the start, there are some really great moments throughout the novel. The problem is that it's a webnovel. Those moments of greatness are sprinkled in the mess that is the main (?) story in addition to endless vomit of filler. They are also often marred by what I like to call 'showoff hero' -- the type of a character that always appears at the very last second to save the day. Once or twice it was fine, but it's gotten to the point that author himself points it out through random internet commentators. It's not funny. It's just annoying.

I don't really wanna spend too much time talking about harem because I generally tend to hate the genre. It is especially so in this novel, since I literally do not buy a single relationship he has built with women -- not even his wife's. Whatever, right? Who cares? Aren't most harems like that? Sure. But, we're over a 1000 chapters in, and this dude is yet to reach the mental awareness of an 18y-old despite being over 30 (I think?).

What I will assent, however, is that women in the novel generally do get a better treatment than the women in most other novels of similar type. They do have somewhat unique personalities (that unfortunately disappear when dealing with MC), but their goals and life orbit the MC far too much for me to take them seriously.

In reality, that's the case with virtually every other character in the novel. Even if they had a single independent thought, it would be crushed the moment they meet and interact with MC. The only exception is one of the 'bad guys' (?), but I'd bet my left nipple he'll undergo the exact same thing in the future as the rest of the characters and join MC's ever-growing harem.

As with every single MMORPG-like novel ever written in the history of this world, the game part of the story is just utter nonsense. I can't remember how many times author indicated that the developers pay a whole lot of attention to balance, but each time it happened, I suffered a temporary curse of rofling. Balance? Gacha games are more balanced than this nonsense. Rather than the game, 'Satisfy' or whatever is treated more like an alternate reality with a game system, since MC is virtually unparalleled save for the bigger and badder monsters that come knocking at just the right time so he doesn't quiver and die.

I will say this time and again -- hidden classes, classes layered in tiers, exclusive titles directly impacting battle performance, unique items that are just outright better than anything else... none of this will ever become a part of the genuine MMORPG. To begin with, the pre-requisite for a balanced game is already thrown out the window at the start since leveling is uncapped. I will never for the life of me understand how the new generation of players who are joining 2-3 years after the game's release are capable of actually catching up in levels to everyone else. No matter what I fabricate in my mind (because author never bothers to explain it since it's impossible), I can't reconcile the fact that the gap should be so massive, not even a thousand XP potions should be enough to make up for it. Yet, lo and behold.

Grid's class, in general, is just a broken nonsense that would never be allowed. It's similar to Weed's in that it can do virtually everything. I literally can't think of a single weakness that Grid's class has. It's superior in terms of stats, melee combat, range combat, production, speed, defense, attack, etc. No matter how much the author claims that 'Grid's hitting his limits and others will shoot past him soon', that's just pure nonsense. I don't even want to talk about the spoilery stuff from later on when those 'limits' just crumble like glass.

In effect, don't read this as an MMORPG novel; it's just another wish-fulfillment type of a story set in a game-like universe in which MC is dictating how the story goes. In the last 600-700 chapters (I think?), there was only a single point in which someone other than MC did something that triggered a storyline. And, naturally, MC gobbled that sh*t up and became the driver of the story shortly after.

His companions eventually, as in all the novels of this type, become irrelevant resource parasites. Despite being 'supreme talents', they'd literally rot in the sewers if it wasn't for MC-bus. The only one even remotely necessary is the strategist, and even that's debatable if I'm being honest.

All in all, despite my rough overview of the novel, I did enjoy Overgeard up till now. It's a good way to pass time, and there are some interesting storylines to be found here. Unfortunately, during the past 200-300 chapters, it reads more like your generic xianxia rather than a story set inside a game.

Oh, also, racism is also a thing here. I'll honestly never understand why East-Asian novels set in the modern era can't abstain from overt racism. I don't think it's that hard, right?

Thanks for reading up till now, keep visiting this site, I will be uploading more reviews. 

Also its bit off topic but

I would like to introduce my dear viewers to an amazing thing, In time of this hard stressful lock down it created a steady source of income for me, just by selling my photos. So i think i should share it with you, since every body is having a hard time right now. 

This company is currently looking for members who want to sell their photography pictures. 

- You should be able to take and submit at least 10-50 photos a week. 

- Your photos will be used for websites, catalogs, books, magazines and ads.

If you’re interested, you can resister down below..

Regards,

P.S. You don’t need to be a professional photography to get started.you can Sign up here



Comments